Dragon1 Way of Thinking
About the Dragon1 Way of Thinking
The first 'way' of Dragon1 is the Way of Thinking. The Way of Thinking of Dragon1 exists out of eight Dragon1 main concepts.
Every main concept consists of several concepts. On every main concept or concept that is part of the method, Dragon1 has a unique and typical vision, creating a complete and consistent method throughout the field of enterprise architecture.
|A way of thinking is an aspect area of a method that is concerned with various vision on certain themes and concepts in the field of enterprise architecture.|
The Dragon1 Way of Thinking in ten principle statements, using wh-questions:
1) An architect is a creative designer of total concepts of structures and solutions
The Dragon1 way of thinking is about how an architect should look at (view), create and communicate enterprise-structures, integral solutions, architectures, architecture designs, concepts and principles.
An architect is supposed to create the best designs of total concepts (= architecture) possible for structures and integral solutions and guide the realization of these structures and integral solutions.
2) The architecture of a structure is a total concept
To accomplish the task of creating the best architecture designs possible for the owner-client, the architect must view and create architecture as a total concept aligned to the needs and requirements of the owner-client and stakeholders. The benefit of working with a total concept is you can combine concepts into one new concept fulfilling the various (sometimes contradictory) needs and requirements of stakeholders. The benefit of working with concepts is that you can postpone implementation issues until the moment it is necessary to deal with them.
3) An organization can always be viewed as a structure
The architect needs to see an enterprise, or any other organization or integral solution as a structure: a system with a coherent and cohesive constructive, operative and decorative dimension. Also the enterprise holds some structures like ICT-Infrastructure, Information Facilities and Businesses. Architecture can be applied onto many things such as a structure or an integral solution, meaning that a total concept is applied onto that structure or integral solution. Every structure, solution, system or domain in an enterprise or organization can be viewed conceptually this way.
4) Architecture principles are the way concepts work and produce results in a structure or solution
Every concept that is part of a total concept (architecture), has its own 'enforced way of working and produced results' (= principle). It is the concept-principle that makes the concept of interest to architect. Stakeholders have requirements for a structure of solution. At conceptual level an architect select the concepts that fulfill with their concept-principle the requirements.
5) Effective and understandable visualizations of architecture designs help owner-clients and stakeholders take the right decisions
Dragon1 aims to become the visualization standard for organizations, especially focussed on visualizing architecture and structures understandle. In order to be able to visualize architecture understable as Dragon1 architect, you need to work with four different levels of abstraction: conceptual, logical, physcial and implementational. And work with at minimum four different types of visualization: sketch, drawing, diagram and photographic image.
6) Human Measures are most important when designing structures and solutions
Structures and integral solutions always at some point will be used by humans. And if something wants or needs to be used by a human, it has to take the human measures into account to make itself usable. For instance certain humans demand for certain services of a minimum level in structures or solutions. If the design does not take this in to account, the structure or solution is likely not be liked or used by humans. This goes for remote controls of TV's, airplanes, churches, but also for front offices of municipalities, sales processes and flex workplaces in organizations.
7) The architect should moderate the process for creating an approved of and adopted Program of Requirements for structures or integral solutions
Even in this agile ERA it is nessecary to have a set of requirements approved of by the owner-client. Every requirement costs money and therefore has to be approved of. the architect of the best person around to view the set of requirements as a whole.
8) Effective architecture is architecture that is implemented as an ongoing strategic (re)design process in the organization
Dragon1 positions architecture between strategy and policy. Architecture is a total concept. To concretize the strategy you design the strategy as a total concept. To make the strategy executable you detail and visualize the concept in rules and measures for policy.
9) In Dragon1 every architecture (total concept) is made coherent and consistent using metamodels to be effective
In order to create effective architectures, you need to have consistent models of systems based on consistent metamodels. And these models need to be able to contain all of the collaborative elements of the concepts. In Dragon1 meta models contain the entity-types and attributes that are the only ones that maybe used in models for that meta model. Also in Dragon1 analogue to the four levels of abstraction entities are named: at conceptual level an entity is a concept. At logical level entities are elements, at physcial level entities are components and objects and at physical level entities are technical products. Dragon1 keeps in touch with the BIM (Building Information Model) but has not adopted it.
10) Architecture Designs (Designs of Total Concepts) become better if all words of entities are defined stipulative and consistent
All basic and common words in the Dragon1 method and in the architecture designs are defined stipulative. This means that in the context of Dragon1 Architecture Design these definitions apply. The definitions have been aligned onto eachother. This increases and enforces the entities used. Dragon1 strongly proposes that architects define or refer to literature for every design-term or design-entity used.
On this page the Dragon1 Way of thinking concepts are presented exhaustive:
Concepts and Principles
The Dragon1 main concept Concepts and Principles recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Total Concept
- Fundamental Concept
- Technological Concept
- Product Related Concept
- Architecture Principle
- Concept Principle
- Design Principle
- Reality Principle
- Quicksand Principle
Enterprises as Structures
The Dragon1 main concept Enterprises as Structures recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Core Business / Core Activities
- Target Operating Model
- Business IT Alignment
The Dragon1 main concept Meta Models recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Hierarchy of models
- Global meta model of the method | Detailled meta model of the method
- Global meta model of the SPACE Enterprise Architecture Style | Detailled meta model
- Component Based Development (CBD)
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) (loosely coupling)
- Business Process Modelling (BPM)
The Dragon1 main concept Integral Solutions recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Technical Products
- Building Blocks
- Front-, Mid, Back Office
- Facilities and Infrastructure for Communication, Transactions and Information (CTI-Infrastructure)
The Dragon1 main concept Architectures recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Enterprise Architecture
- Business Architecture
- Information Architecture
- Technical Architecture
- Supply Chain Architecture
- Aplication Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Security Architecture
- Domain Architecture
- Reference Architecture
- Solution Architecture
The Dragon1 main concept Human Measures recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones:
- Perceive / Observe
- Customer Centric Approach
- Case Management / Case Oriented Approach
- Digital Workplace
- New Way of Working
- Process Oriented Approach
- Product Oriented Approach
The Dragon1 main concept Architecture Designs recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following aere the most important ones:
The four detailling levels of Architecture Designs:
- Conceptual Architecture Design
- Prelimenary Architecture Design
- Final Architecture Design
- Detailled Architecture Design
Various types of Architecture Design:
- Enterprise Architecture Design
- Business Architecture Design
- Information Architecture Design
- Technical Architecture Design
- Supply Chain Architecture Design
- Aplication Architecture Design
- Data Architecture Design
- Security Architecture Design
- Domain Architecture Design
- Reference Architecture Design
- Solution Architecture Design
Strategic Organizing Architecture
The Dragon1 main concept Strategic Organization of Architecture recognizes different classes, sorts and types of concepts and principles and their attributes. Following are the most important ones: